Anyone else have the refrain of a Salt N Pepa song echoing through their head now?
No? Just me? Okay, then. Let’s get down to business.
I’ve come to realize I’m a grazer. I eat a little something here, something else there. I’ve been snacking on a banana with peanut butter first thing when I wake up, then hitting the pavement for a walk. After my walk, which lasts anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes, I head back to the kitchen for a little something else to eat. (That’s when a smoothie usually enters the picture.)
I drink that while washing last night’s dishes and prepping that afternoon/evening’s eats. I pack everything up so I can get to Starbucks for pre-work writing time.
Among my go-to snacks:
- Cut-up veggies and hummus, sometimes with Pretzel Crisps, sometimes not
- Veggies and Trader Joe’s less-guilt spinach/kale/yogurt dip. This stuff was a find on my last trip, and I was sad to see the last of it Wednesday.
I envy folks who have a Trader Joe’s in their city — the closest one for me is in Prescott. It works out okay, because my RWA chapter meets in Prescott, so I visit TJ’s on meeting day.
Now back to my list:
- Nuts of some kind. I recently discovered Emerald brand Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter nuts that are To. Die. For. (And only 4 WW Points per serving.) The Chili-Lime Cashews (5 Points) and Wasabi Wow Mix (4 Points) from Trader Joe’s are also faves.
- Snack bars … granola, Nutri-Grain fruit bars, Fiber One bars have all made my list at one time or another. A few weeks ago, I made my first batch of these Five-Minute No-Bake Granola Bars. Delicious!
- Yogurt. As I’ve mentioned, Greek varieties are my favorite.
- Apple slices (preferably with nut butter, but if they’re Honeycrisp, I’ll eat them plain)
- Cottage cheese
All solid choices, I suppose. Yet I feel like I’m stuck in a rut. I need to spice up my snack repertoire — and fast. Boredom never bodes well for me sticking to my diet.
That’s where y’all come in: I need your help. What are some of your healthier go-to snacks?
Spill it in the comments below. I’m always up for new ideas.